August 30, 2011

and the countdown begins...

so...School begins in a mere two weeks. I can say I'm definitely ready for it. I've always been excited for school to start. I love getting new school supplies, notebooks, pens, pencils, binders. Sometimes I even get those big pink erasers just because I like them. It feels more like school when it's in the fall. When the semester starts in April, it just doesn't feel the same. But September...yeah, that's when you're supposed to start school.

This is my second to last semester of college. I am way pumped. This semester should be very hard, but super fun. I have my last batch of humanities (minor) classes, and my last load of English (major) classes. I am also hopefully going to be ushering at the school devotionals. Haven't heard back from them yet, but hopefully everything should work out. I've also got an idea of what I would like to do with my degree. If it pans out, I would like to work at a school as an English tutor. Elementary, middle, or high school, it doesn't matter much to me. Two of my best friends are currently teachers, and it made me realize I really didn't have a goal of what I wanted to do. I didn't want to take the easy road. Even though that's more of what I'm comfortable with, I've realized I really need to step out of my comfort zone and actually make some goals. I want to look back on my life and at least recognize I made goals and went for them. Scary...all this grown up planning.

As I drive through the streets of this little town, I realize how much my life has changed in four years. Can you say a lot? I always used to brush off the whole idea of how college matures you and all that. And how being at a church school was all about getting a spiritual education. Well, now that I am older and wiser (thank goodness) I realize the wisdom of those ideas. Yes, I am more mature after my freshman semester. I am more focused in my life. My life then...consisted of having fun, enjoying classes, and of course, boys. Now..I am married to the most wonderful man I could have asked my Heavenly Father for. I am way more focused on school, and our life together. Good heavens it is hard! Keeping my life is neatly compact piles of school, work, wifely duties, church, it really tires me out. Is it worth it? Absolutely. My spiritual nature has also grown. I am constantly thanking my Heavenly Father for all the opportunities I've had to grow. My testimony has grown. I've realized that being on my own two feet, and now four =) that I really have to stand up for myself in order to get my life where I want it to be.

Deep thinking for a 22 year old? Probably to some. But to me, this is what I think of everyday. How my mom always has to tell me to "bloom where I was planted" because I've been sick of this tiny town for a long time. Everyday I tell myself I'm one day closer to graduating. One day closer to the next chapter of my life. One day closer to looking back and kicking myself for being so eager to end school. So..bring it on! =)

4 comments:

  1. it sounds like your mother is a great mother with awesome advice, "bloom where you are planted". My mom says that to me too some times. If a person is miserable where they live it's their own dang fault, lol! sorry I'll get off my soap box! I seriously love you, you are such an awesome person!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post...and amen! "Bloom where you are planted" very wise Mother indeed!
    Sounds like you have some wonderful goals and heading forward....cool.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bree, you have such great thoughts -- I love reading your blog posts. Your mom gives some great advice. And I think you are on the right track with everything. Good luck with the new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breanna - you go girl!!!! You are the best. I for one have LOVED watching you during these college years. I am so proud of you and the realizations you have come to and the changes you have made. I too loved the whole getting ready for school in the fall. Every September I still want to run out and buy new pens, pencils, paper and notebooks even though both you and Brady are gone. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!! :) I love you 1,000,000,000 red m&m's. Have a great semester. Mom

    ReplyDelete