February 1, 2012

Nice is nice

I have a confession. I have always been an avid people watcher. I know, kind of a creepy statement. But lately, I have unintentionally kicked it up a notch. Work for me is at a fast food joint. Not glamorous by any means, but it is a job that requires me to be in contact with people...all the time. At the counter, cleaning tables, at the drive thru window, you get the picture. And lately, I have been noticing how common courtesy is going down the drain. How people rarely smile anymore, or simply ask, "How are you today?" This post is not meant to be cynical or depressing. Quite the contrary. It has helped me realize, holy crap, I hope I am not one of those people who have a permanent scowl on their face, and act like a snapping turtle through a drive thru window to innocent victims. 

I realize that my job is way down the food chain of jobs people want to have. But having this job has really helped me open up a bit, and really get to observe people. And I wish with all my heart that people could be nicer to one another. Because I know everybody has a story. I know that even if I just ask someone how their day goes, I can get a smile out of them. Or just having a cheerful voice over the drive thru intercom, it makes a difference to some people. I admit, there are some days when people are rude to me, that I just want to yell at them to get a life. Or ignore them completely, somehow, I have perfected the Silent Treatment when people are rude to me. But I have to stop and tell myself, "This isn't the last time someone is going to hurt your feelings." I have to remind myself to just be nice to people, and everything will be ok. 

Elder Neal A. Maxwell said,  "More meekness does not translate to weakness, but “it is the presentation of self in a posture of kindness and gentleness. It reflects certitude, strength, serenity; it reflects a healthy self-esteem and a genuine self-control” 
So. This post was a little scattered, but this idea of being nice is not an old fashioned practice. It is something that should be so easy, yet people make it so hard. Being meek is not being weak, it is a Christ-like attribute. So, if anything worthwhile came out of my brain right now, it is to just be nice. 

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the reminder, Bree. I know I'll spend an afternoon doing errands and then kick myself later, realizing that I wasn't as bright and cheery as I would hope to be. It's easy to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right! sometimes it can be hard for me, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen girl- I say kill them with kindness. =)
    You always write the most thought provoking posts-
    thanks
    Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love that quote from Elder Maxwell. Very true. Thanks for the reminder--sometimes when I have the two little kids with me when I'm out and about it is hard for me to think past "how am I going to keep these two under control" but I really should pay attention to how I'm coming across to people around me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my sweet daughter -- remember when you were in elementary school and you were always seated near the special needs kids because you were always so sweet and nice to them?!? You are one of the sweetest and most forgiving people I know. Thanks for being such a great example to me!!! And thanks for sharing you thoughts. You continue to make me so grateful for the opportunity I have to be your mother. I love you.

    ReplyDelete